Thursday, March 17, 2011

Narrative Writing: The Power of Memories

www.quotegarden.com prominently displays this telling quote about memories:

     "Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose"  (from the television show The Wonder Years).

Memories are powerful. Certain foods and certain scents trigger delightful memories for me. Other memories are painful and I want to bury them.  Whenever I hear the Beatles' tune Hey Jude, I can't help but be transported back to a time I would much rather forget. Whether my memories are positive or negative, they are, as the above quote says, "ways of holding on." 

Your task: Tell the story behind one of your memories. You decide if you want to relate a positive or a negative memory. Remember that details count. Your  work should show that you have a firm grasp of grammar mechanics in your response. Preview your response and make the necessary changes before you hit the "publish" button.

My response: The smell of gardenias reminds me of my paternal grandmother. Her name was Josefina. Abuela took care of me and my sister when we were young girls. She lived with my Titi Marta and her two sons, but she ruled that house as if it were her own. Her bedroom was at the end of the hall, opposite the Master Bedroom. Outside of her bedroom window was a gardenia bush. The heady fragrance of those flowers would penetrate the closed jalousie windows nearly all year. I can remember lying on her bed in the middle of the day, secretly reading her crime magazines, the smell of those gardenias intermingling with mouthwatering smells wafting down the hallway. To this day, the best food I remember ever eating was made by Abuela. In fact, I have spent my life trying to approximate her undisclosed recipe for pasteles. Whenever I spent the night, I had to sleep with Abuela. I always did my best to fall asleep before she did, otherwise her rumbling, thunderous snores would keep me up all night. Today, I have a gardenia bush outside my front door and I work hard to emulate her piquant cooking. Maybe one day my grandchildren will hold on to fond memories of me as well.

Post your response no later than midnight, March 22.


13 comments:

  1. When I see roses I remember my grandmother, she always had roses around the house. She had every color that you could imagine,she even tried to cross breed some. To this day I have about fives rose bushes around the yard, I treat them just like a child, always buying more and more food and fertizler for them. They remind me of my grandmother so much I think she would be very proud of my roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my childhood during playing when I saw a aeroplane was flying in the sky ,it was so small to see(lebel was too much higher from the ground)that was surprising to me about how did it fly! and how people were traveling by such a tiny plane! After became adult I travelled so many times by plane even continuous twenty hours
    air journeyfrom Bangladesh to America, now it's very clear to me.If I see a plane in the sky still I remember that amazing thought of my childhood about planne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my positive memories was the day my first nephew was born. I remember it like it was yesterday, my sister husband called it was around 5:30 a.m. The words came out his mouth she had the baby. I started to cry just a little, once we got to the hospital their he was a bundle of joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing that bring back memories to me is how a person type of fragrance an person have on. Every time i pass by a person who has on the cologne Axe I think of my previous boyfriend, which is not a good thing, because almost every boy have possession of that axe cologne. It is a incredibly strong, and spicy smell to it, and I fall more and more in love every time it cross my nose. The way how some one smells is how I remember them.
    -Shana

    ReplyDelete
  6. The smell of peach cobbler baking in the oven warms my taste buds. One of my favorite deserts made by my uncle Willie James Monds. He use to live in New York, and everytime he came to visit, baking peach cobbler was his first task. Now that he moved back to West Palm Beach, So I can experience this memory every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One my best memories always comes around Christmas time, because that's the time to be happy and joyful. My family comes from all over the world, some come from the Dominican republic, and others come from Spain. The most important thing of all is where all together and having fun as well as being a family and enjoying life. Those are my best memories, I have too many just to pick one, but they all come around Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The memory that I hold on to was the way my mother would wake me up in the morning. How gently she would touch me as she spoke so softly, “Good morning baby”. It’s something I would never forget and I have embraced that same way of waking up my girls. Hopefully it will also have the same impact on their leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The smell of the salt water ocean, the sound of the fish jumping, and the look of peace I seen of his face. This meormy that I hold inside of me is my father's favorite hobby, fishing and every time I think of these things I think of him. Even though he was tough he made each one of my siblings and I grow up with a sense of toughness, strength and wisdom and I think about him everyday and very much miss him each and everyday. If I could erase time and change things that would be the one thing that I would erase the day he past away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wake up in the morning brushed my teeth, got dressed, and went to school, waiting for the day to end in anticipation. Tonight was my senior prom and i am taking my girlfriend Samantha. We left school early to get ready and eat but, instead we went to the beach just Sam and I. That friday was one of the best days of my life to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the most memorable moments in my life was with my grandmother (Mercedes) about 8 years ago. My family had gone to my grandmothers house for lunch every sunday like usual, this particular sunday she had cooked my favorite food; rice, beans, and steak. All of a sudden my cousin runs outside after opening the sliding glass door and closing it afterwards, my grandma screaming for my cousin not to go in the jacuzzi as she ran towards the sliding glass door and all of a sudden you hear a big crash. She had just ran into the sliding glass door and literally everyone could not help but laugh, everytime I see anybody bump against a sliding glass door it really reminds of my grandmother till this day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don not remember exactly when, but I will never forget it. One day, when I was a child, my mother along with my grandmother were preparing this strange dish I never seen before. They added a lot of limes, onions, spices and the most important ingredient fish. They all put it in to a bowl, so the fish could soak up the juices. And after an hour, they served the whole family with this appetizer. As soon the plate came to me, I felt a little scared and grossed out, because the fish didn't look to great or special. But curiosity took over and I decided to try it. It was the most delicious home-cooked meal I have ever tried in my life. The explosion of flavor has been planed in my mind. What really stood out about the dish was how the lime and fish combined together to make powerful taste. Later, my mom told me this is Peru's national dish called Ceviche and it is my favorite dish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was about nine years of age, I remember my family was not like the one that you would call the norm. My mother did everything backwards when I asked her something she would ask me the same question and would ask "why would you ask me that?". My father thought he was cool but I would remind him of his age all the time my Dad didn't care though. My two little sisters followed me where ever I went and would get lost and the fingers would be pointed on me. Hey we would have family time but rarely that. My Childhood was not the one I would call the norm.

    ReplyDelete